DHL Air Express Service Information
- General Information
- Labelling & Documentation
- Volumetric Weight Charges
- Additional Costs
- Maximum Size Weight
- Prohibited Articles
DHL Air Express is a premium worldwide express service by air. This service is available for both private and business customers.
Labelling & Documentation
Our web site should generate a bar coded DHL air waybill / label which needs to be printed & securely attached to each package. Please also keep one for your records & hand one to the DHL driver on collection.
Commercial Invoices & Packing Lists
Shipments bound for non EU countries must be accompanied by 4 copies of a commercial invoice or packing list showing a full description and value of the goods for customs purposes. Our website will produce a basic packing list for you, however if you have your own please use these instead. Remember to include a VAT number if applicable.
- Have you printed and securely attached a copy of your barcoded air waybill label to each of your packages?
- Shipping to a non-EU destination? If yes, do you have 4 copies of your commercial invoice or packing list readey to accompany your shipment?
- Have you remembered to include a full description and value of the goods in your commercial invoice/packing list?
Volumetric Weight Charge
The charge for your shipment is calculated on weight or volume, whichever the greater. Sometimes, bulky items may be charged at a higher rate than the actual weight of the shipment. The formula to calculate the "volumetric" weight on this service is as follows:
Multiply the 3 dimensions of your parcel together (LxWxH) & divide the result by 5000.
Example Volumetric Weight Calculations
- Parcel weighs 10kg @ 50x30x20cm (50x30x20 divided by 5000 = 6) ie the actual weight exceeds the volumetric weight which means you would be charged for 10kg.
- Parcel weighs 10kg @ 60x50x40cm (60x50x40 divided by 5000 = 24) ie the volumetric weight exceeds the actual weight which means you would be charged for 24kg.
Additional costs which might apply to your shipment
Remote Area Surcharges
Should either the collection or delivery area be located in a "remote area" DHL apply a flat rate surcharge of £16 plus vat if applicable. You can check the DHL Remote Area database to see if your collection or delivery address will be affected.
The DHL website also contains relevant information concerning Duties & Taxes
Maximum Size / Weight Allowance
Size and weight destinations will vary depending on your destination.
Please refer to the DHL website for size and weight restrictions as well as important guidelines and telephone numbers specific to your destination country.
If the Girth is applicable, this is calculated by adding together the 2 smaller dimensions, multiply by 2 and add the result to the longest dimension. (eg 1 box 40*30*60cms = (40+30) x 2 = 140 + 60 = 200 cms "girth".)